How do you do EFT?
- Identify The Issue. Notice something that is bothering you. It might be something that happened, or something you’re stressed about. a) What is the emotion you’re experiencing? b) Notice where you feel the emotion, or the stressor, in your body.
- Measure the intensity. Measure the intensity of the problem as it is in the present moment by using a basic scale of 0 – 10, i.e. 0 – no discomfort, to 10 – maximum discomfort. We also test as we go. This helps us to determine if we’re on the right course and are truly feeling better.
- The Setup. State the problem in this format. Say, “Even though (state the problem specifically), I deeply and completely accept myself,” while tapping on the karate chop point on the hand, (see illustration) with the fingertips of the other hand. Repeat the statement three times.
Example Setup Statements
Even though I have this thumping headache, I deeply and completely accept myself.
Even though I’m so angry at Jack for humiliating me publicly, I deeply and completely accept myself.
Even though I really want to eat these chips, I deeply and completely accept myself.
The Setup Statement must acknowledge the problem (yes, it’s negative) and state acceptance of the problem. The self-acceptance part of the statement is integral. Say it even if you don’t believe it at first. Now that you’ve set up your energy system, you’re ready for the next part of EFT’s Basic Recipe, the Sequence.
- The Sequence Tap on the meridian points below while saying a reminder phrase. Tap five or six times, with two or three fingertips, starting with the top of the head. (Some people start with the eyebrow point and finish with the head. It doesn’t really matter.)Reminder Phrases are the things you say while tapping on the points. You simply state a brief phrase that reminds you of the problem, tuning into it. E.g. this headache, this headache, this headache…
EFT Tapping Points Finger Points(not frequently used)
The finger points can serve as a shortcut when you want to be discreet, or may be used as an add-on to the Basic Recipe. They are located on the side of the fingers, beside the nail. When tapping on the left hand, use the right side of fingers when hand is pointing downward and vice versa.
- Measure Intensity Again. After one or two rounds through the points you measure again, and repeat the procedure, until such time the distress score diminishes significantly or disappears altogether. When possible, it’s best to test in the real world also. (i.e. expose yourself to potato chips)